A Governing body:
- Works in conjunction with the Head Teacher
- Conducts their work mainly through committees and meetings lead by members of the governing body, with guidance from the Head Teacher and the relevant paperwork
- Makes decisions collectively as a team, specific committees or individuals
- Ensure a high standard of educational attainment
- Oversee the school budget, including staffing and pay levels
- Maintain a balanced curriculum, particularly that the National Curriculum and Religious Education are taught
- Review and question reports on test results and pupils continuing achievement in National Curriculum assessments
- Partake in the appointment of senior staff (including the Head Teacher) and govern staff conduct and discipline
- Accept widespread responsibility for the conduct of the school
- Formulate targets for pupil achievement
- Draft action plans after an Ofsted inspection
You can read more about the role of a Governing Body in the Dfe Governors Handbook.
All of the governors at The Flying Bull Academy are appointed by Chichester Academy Trust. For information of the names of any committee the governor serves on, positions of responsibility and their term of office please click here
The representatives of the Governing Body are:
Chair – Gynette Parke (Parent)
Michael Swann (Local Authority)
I was born and brought up in Portsmouth and was inspired to volunteer as a school governor by a number of friends and family members, who work or have worked in education. It’s a responsibility I have found hugely satisfying and rewarding, and I am proud to be a part of the community here at the Flying Bull Academy. I have worked for the housing department at Portsmouth City Council for eleven years, specialising in homelessness prevention, supported housing and safeguarding vulnerable individuals and families. My spare time is spent indulging my passions in life: climbing mountains, brewing beer and cooking food from around the world, and cheering Pompey on from the Fratton End!
Deamonn Hewett-Dale (Head teacher)
James Hallett (Co-opted)
Originally from London, I have lived in Portsmouth for nearly three years, where I have been working in scientific research at the University of Portsmouth. I have greatly enjoyed my time at Flying Bull so far, so much so that it has inspired me to become a school teacher. I look forward to seeing Flying Bull achieve even more in the near future.
Lynne Metcalfe (Co-opted)
Debbie D’Apice (Co-opted)
I was born in Portsmouth and grew up in Horndean, leaving education at 16. I have been a Civil Servant for 35 years working for the Inland Revenue, now HM Revenue and Customs. I moved back to Portsmouth aged 20 and have lived in Buckland for most of the last 30 years. I like the simple things in life – walks along the seafront, spending time with family and friends, reading and picnics.
Luke Needham (Co-opted)
Bill Webber (Co-opted)
I worked for over forty years in telecoms and IT, beginning as an apprentice and rising to a senior management position, in no small part due to a very good grounding through junior and senior schools which stood me in very good stead as I continued my studies into adulthood. Part of my role, in those latter years, included the recruitment of apprentices, adult entries and graduates which gave me an insight, and a continued interest, in educational opportunity and attainment.
I believe that all children deserve the opportunity to make the very best of themselves, in a safe and caring environment. This begins, besides encouragement from within the home, from the very first day at school. I decided to become a primary school governor because I believe that is the foundation for children learning the correct values of respect for themselves and others, a desire to continue to learn and achieve the best they possibly can throughout their lives.
Judith Turner (Parent)
Rose Wiggins (Staff)
Shelley Urquhart (Parent)
The following Governors do not have voting rights on any of the governing body committees:
Clerk to Governors – Karen Churchill (Staff)
Jerry Goddard (Director of Standards and Chichester Academy Trust (CAT) Link)
Samantha Cantini Deputy Head (Associate)
Lee Dallinger Deputy Head (Associate)